Thursday, April 11, 2019

Photo of the Week: The Mythological Muse Polymnia


This is a photo I took of the marble sculpture of the mythological Muse Polymnia in the Montemartini Museum here in Rome. Polymnia (sometimes spelled Polyhymnia) is one of the nine Greek mythological Muses, who were goddesses of music, song, and dance. Polymnia is the Muse of religious hymns (a religious song or poem sang or spoken in praise of a spiritual God) and is often portrayed in a meditative pose, looking toward the sky, deep in thought, as she is posed here in this sculpture. Polymnia’s name is stemmed from the Greek words “poly” which means “many”, and “hymnos” which means “praise” or “hymn”. I visited the Montemartini Museum for my Mythology and Architecture class and I thought that this sculpture was very beautiful. Do you like to visit museums? 

4 comments:

  1. I love museums! It must be so cool to go to another country and go to the museums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love museums! There are always lots of super cool things in any museum. In Italy there are lots of museums, however there also a lot of churches that you can enter for free and also see lots of famous art in!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is really good! Some of my favorite foods are here in Italy!

      Delete