Sunday, April 21, 2019

Cibo: Traditions & Tastes

Hey again everyone! This week I decided to focus on food ("cibo") as a response to Aubrey’s comment asking about being interested in the food and what people eat here in Italy (by the way, thank you all for being so expressive in the comments!) There are so many delicious foods here in Italy, and I am so grateful to be able to eat something that tastes so good with every meal I eat here. 


In Italy there is a very specific culture surrounding the consumption of food and eating meals. Eating is known as a communal activity, where time is carved out of the day to dedicate to sitting down and enjoying a full meal with family or friends, often consisting of multiple courses. First and second plates are the cultural norm here. “Primo piatto” is first plate, and “secondo piatto” is second plate. This is a difference from the meal-eating culture back home in America, where we usually just eat one big plate for our meals!


Breakfast (“prima colazione”) is often coffee, like a cappuccino, a caffè latte, or an espresso, enjoyed with a sweet pastry such as a croissant (“il cornetto”), or a biscuit, (“il biscotto”), or bread rolls with butter and jam. My favorite breakfast to eat here is a cappuccino e cornetto. My cousin Livia, who lives in Southern Italy, usually enjoys an espresso e biscotti for breakfast. When I asked Livia what her favorite food is, she said “white lasagna, without tomato sauce, made with mushrooms and meat or with pesto. I also love mozzarella and all types of cheese”. Livia’s best friend Claudia says her favorite foods are “pizza and lasagna, and sweets!”


Lunch (“pranzo”) is often one or two plates, and usually consists of a pasta dish, or pizza, or a frittata, which is like a cake made with eggs and vegetables such as zucchini and onion/a quiche without the crust, or a panino, which is a sandwich made with Italian bread and is usually grilled and served warm. Dinner (“cena”) is usually two plates, such as a pasta dish, pizza, fish, lasagna, or an eggplant dish, as well as a dessert. Some common desserts are tiramisu (a cake made with ladyfinger biscuits, chocolate, and cream) or gelato, which is similar to ice cream but is traditionally made with less milk and more sugar. With my family, on Easter, I also ate a traditional cake from the Bari (Southern Italy) region called “scarcella” which has almond paste, plum jam, sugar, and is coated in cream. Delizioso! 


While I was visiting Turin, in Northern Italy, with my school group, I had the opportunity to attend a cooking class where we learned to make ravioli, tortellini, and orecchiette (the small-shaped pasta we call ‘little ears’), all from scratch! It was a great experience to learn to make the dough, roll it out, and shape it ourselves. It is very common here to make ones’ own pasta, so it is very fresh! It is a tradition here to eat food that is very fresh. As opposed to America, it is not common here in Italy to eat much fast food or frozen food, and I believe that eating the fresh food is much healthier for our bodies! Do you all enjoy eating Italian food? What are your favorite foods and desserts? What else are you all interested in learning about and hearing about? See you all soon!

 

This painting is by Jaune Flamme, of a tomato, or a “pomodoro”, which is a very common fruit eaten with meals:


Also, here’s a really fun and funny poem about Italian food by Shel Siverstein:
         Italian Food
I eat it all the time,
Not just ‘cause how good it tastes
But ‘cause how good it rhymes.
Minestrone, cannelloni,
Macaroni, rigatoni,
Spaghettini, scallopini,
Escarole, braciole,
Insalata, cremolata, manicotti,
Marinara, carbonara,
Shrimp francese, Bolognese,
Ravioli, mostaccioli,
Mozzarella, tagliatelle,
Fried zucchini, rollatini,
Fettuccine, green linguine,
Tortellini, Tetrazzini,
Oops—I think I split my jeani.

19 comments:

  1. I think lunch sounds the best to eat because pizza and ice cream! That sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza and ice cream are awesome!

      Delete
  2. its bradley, did you make that it looks pretty good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3 photos of pasta at the end of the post I made with my friends in our cooking class!

      Delete
  3. That was very interesting to learn about the type of food they eat and how they take time to even make their own pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you appreciated learning about it! Everyone eats differently, according to their own preferences, of course. It is super cool that lots of people make pasta here, but plenty of people also use boxed pasta!

      Delete
  4. Answering your questions: Italian food is one of my favorite types of food, that and Mexican. My favorite food is Fettuccine Alfredo, and my favorite dessert is ice cream. I really appreciate that you are doing this for us. These foods all look so much different then ours but they look really good. I think its really cool that you got to make your own pasta. Whats your favorite food there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fettuccine Alfredo is great stuff! I also love ice cream. I appreciate that you appreciate this! Making pasta was a really cool and fun experience, and it isn't even that difficult at all! My favorite foods here are definitely the pastries and the pizza, as well as fried eggplant!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed your presentation about Rome and Italy. I hope to try new foods from that culture. Food is Delicious and I hope to see you soon. Thank You Shaela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you're enjoying learning from my posts! Trying new foods is so fun. Food is delicious! See you soon!

      Delete
  6. Very funny poem. Your trip looks sooo fun and I hope you continue to enjoy yourself at your stay.

    _______
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the poem was great too! The trip is very fun! Thank you for the well wishes!

      Delete
  7. I have food envy!!! This all looks so delicious! The poem was a fun, silly addition to this post. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all so delicious! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem :)

      Delete
  8. What is your favorite food you've had so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite foods so far have been the sweet pastries, the risotto, the pizza, and the bruschetta! I can't choose just one :)

      Delete