Sunday, May 19, 2019

Gelato: Traditional Italian “Ice Cream”



 

















What is Gelato?

The translation of gelato literally means frozen. Contrary from popular belief, Italian gelato is actually quite different from the traditional ice cream that is found in America. Traditionally, gelato is mixed by hand or by machine until semi-frozen, which prevents the formation of ice crystals. Gelato is made with all natural ingredients, and less air and less butterfat than ice cream, which allows for a more intense flavor. Most of the fruit flavors are traditionally made with a water base instead of a milk base, called sorbetto. Authentically, no artificial colorings or flavorings are used, which makes the flavor more natural and means that the product is healthier! 

Mixing gelato at the Fassi Gelateria!

Historically, it is believed that Florentine Bernardo Buontalenti whipped up the first ever batch of gelato in the 16th century, as a gift for Caterina di Medici, an Italian noblewoman who was married to King Henry II. 

Some of the flavors from the Fassi Gelateria!

Gusto di Gelato: Traditional Flavors

“Gusto” means “taste” or “flavor”. Some of the traditional flavors popular and common around Italy include amarena, made with cream and sour cherries; zabaione, made with white wine and custard; stracciatella, which is cream mixed with chocolate chips; cassata, which is ricotta cheese cream with candied fruit; zuppa inglese, which is custard with cookies and sherry; and tiramisù, which is mascarpone cream and chocolate.
There are also a wide range of gelato flavors made with fruit flavors, such as strawberry, mango, banana, peach, melon, lemon, avocado, and mixed berry. There are also flavors such as chocolate, vanilla, licorice, mint, cream, cinnamon, coffee, hazelnut, almond, and more. Some gelaterias have so many flavors to choose from that sometimes it’s hard for me to decide what to order! Some gelaterias also offer fresh whipped cream as a topping, which I love!

Everyone enjoying their gelato at the Fassi Gelateria!

I asked my local friends: What is your favorite flavor of gelato? Here are their responses:
Claudio: “Cocco” (Coconut)
Giovanni: “Pistachio, stracciatella, zuppa inglese, and Nutella, and in some cases strawberry, watermelon, and melon” 
Claudia: “Cioccolato” (Chocolate)
Franco: “Fragola” (Strawberry) 
Livia: “Stracciatella o fragola” (Stracciatella or strawberry)
My personal favorite flavors are amarena, stracciatella, zabaione, cassata, cinnamon, and chocolate-hazelnut!  



Rome’s Historical Fassi Gelateria

Laboratorio Fassi; Photo courtesy of Andrea Fassi

I had a chance to visit a historical artisan gelateria called Fassi Gelateria. Currently the gelateria is being run by Andrea Fassi, the fifth generation of the original creator of the gelateria. I also had the opportunity to get in contact with Andrea Fassi of the Fassi Gelateria for an interview. Below are my questions with Andrea’s answers: 

Andrea Fassi; Photo courtesy of Andrea Fassi

Q: What is the origin story of the Fassi Gelateria? 
A: At the beginning, there was a little ice and beer point in Quattro Fontane street, near Barberini Square. Giacomo Fassi, from Piemonte, and Giuseppina his wife, from Sicily, started a company that brought their son, Giovanni, to work as pastry chef in Royal House.He was called The King gelatiere, remembered by his characteristic mustache, that will be the reason of his fortune. When all the workers were obliged to cut the mustache by a royal order, then, Giovanni declined and opened a private company in Navona Square and Piave street, and then 1928 in Principe Eugenio street where he founded the Palazzo del Freddo: a headquarter 700 mq with laboratory that he managed with his Mom and his wife, Giuseppina. During the Sixties, Leonida, Giovanni's son, inherited the family passion, becoming a member of Federazione Italiana dei Pubblici Esercizi and teaching profession to Giovanni Daniela and Fabrizio. From 2014 Palazzo del Freddo had a Korean property, Haitai Confectionery and Foods. Andrea Fassi is the CEO, he belongs to the fifth generation of Fassi gelato masters and wants to expand Palazzo’s brand all over the world, with the same principles that have made the Fassi gelato: high quality, visual laboratory, and good prices: a new era projected to innovation.

Making gelato; Photo courtesy of Andrea Fassi

Q: What is the importance and historical significance of keeping the Fassi Gelateria running? 
A: Palazzo del Freddo maintains the value of homemade production, defending the quality and carrying on the responsibility to spread the brand in the world with the same principles of Giovanni Fassi. 
Q: What is the most popular flavor purchased at the Fassi Gelateria? 
A: Pistachio, Mango, and obviously the Sanpietrino. 
Q: What is the least popular flavor purchased at the Fassi Gelateria? 
A: There isn’t!

Andrea Fassi; Photo courtesy of Andrea Fassi

Q: What is your favorite part about working with the Fassi Gelateria? 
A: The analysis of the monthly statement to study the choices to be done to change something if it doesn’t work, and also I love the creative part of the day, planning new flavors, organizing dinner, and show cooking.
Q: What influence does the Fassi Gelateria strive to have on the local gelato community? 
A: Fassi Gelateria is an institution for the gelato market in Rome, a lot of new gelato shops look at our gelato to understand a homemade way to produce it, they respect our business as something that can’t be replicated because it’s huge and big. 
Q: What is your personal favorite flavor of gelato? 
A: Chocolate. 

Semifreddo gelato dessert; Photo courtesy of Andrea Fassi


Do you all enjoy eating ice cream? If so, what are your most favorite flavors? Are there any traditional gelato flavors that you would want to try? What are your favorite desserts in general? 
Is there anything else specific you all are interested in me writing about during my last few weeks in Italy? See you all soon!

36 comments:

  1. i like oreo ice cream. what is your favorate type of coffee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite coffee is a cappuccino in the morning, and an espresso (called a "caffe" here) in the afternoon!

      Delete
  2. I love ice cream. My favorite flavor is cookies'n'cream. But I love trying new flavors. My favorite dessert is actually ice cream, and I really like fruity gelatos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love cookies and cream ice cream!

      Delete
  3. yes i do, my favorite flavor is chocolate. I would like to try different flavors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love chocolate. I would recommend trying as many different flavors as you can!

      Delete
  4. Gelato is so good! My favorite kind is mint chocolate chip! Hope your trip is going great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gelato is great! I'm happy to hear you've tried it before! My trip is going amazing! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. The ice cream looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  6. is the pistachio ice cream good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally love the pistachio flavor!

      Delete
  7. my favorite flavor is chocolate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy the chocolate flavor!

      Delete
  8. my favorite ice cream is chocolate peanut butter, that gelato looks really really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gelato is amazing! When you're in Italy, definitely try the gelato!

      Delete
  9. Bring me back some

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if I could! It would probably melt before I got home! :)

      Delete
  10. I typically enjoy a coffee flavor or chocolate...mixed together, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love coffee, and chocolate, and coffee and chocolate together! Yum!

      Delete
  11. As an ice cream lover I can't wait to try some gelato. Are there any laveneder flavours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are lavender flavors!

      Delete
  12. it looks really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious! I highly recommend trying it out when you're in Italy!

      Delete
  13. Mango Gelato sounds really good and i would love to try it. Have you tried that flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mango gelato is really good! It's very fruity, as a "sorbetto".

      Delete
  14. my favorite is lemon custard, but i would love to try gelato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lemon flavors too! I would highly recommend trying gelato! Especially in Italy!

      Delete
  15. What are the temperature differences that they use between commercial ice cream and gelato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditional gelato is slightly warmer than traditional ice cream, in order for the texture to remain silky and soft!

      Delete
  16. I love Ice Cream. My favorite flavor is Chocolate. Well I never had gelato. My favorite dessert is Deep Fried Ice Cream. What Is your favorite gelato?. How are the people there? Are they nice? How is it in Rome, Italy? When you come back will you miss it? If so what is your favorite thing that you did there. -Shaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love chocolate, and deep fried ice cream! Yum! My favorite gelato is stracciatella, cherry amarena, or zabaione cream (I usually order all three together!) People here are nice! Rome is beautiful and lively. I will miss it! My favorite things here are going out to eat, and seeing all the ancient art!

      Delete