Monday, May 27, 2019

Italian Pop Culture

Hey again everyone! For this post I’ve decided to compile some details about a few of the many aspects of pop culture that I’ve come across living here in Italy. Since there’s only a few more weeks for me to blog for you all, and I haven’t gotten to covering each of these topics in their own post, I decided to make this post including a little bit of everything – Italian fashion, music, sports, and art!

Fashion


Milan Fashion Week; Photos Courtesy of Google Images

         Italian fashion is a huge aspect of pop culture in the country. Italy is known around the world as a capital for fashion, and it’s true that most Italians dress very nice on a daily basis, including the women wearing blazers and high heels, the men wearing sport-coats and dressy shoes, and everyone having color-coordination in mind when they put together their outfits. Carpisa and Fila are two brands based in Italy that are very popular, with Carpisa supplying handbags and leather goods, and Fila supplying their famous sneakers and sport gear. 
High-end fashion houses based in Italy include Prada, Valentino, Versace, Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Moschino, and Etro. The Northern city of Milan is widely known as the “fashion capital of the world”, with many fashion houses sourced and based from that city. Italian and European fashion seems to set the scene for fashion, both high-end and low-end, around the entire world. What kind of clothes and fashion do you all like?

Music

Ghali; Photo Courtesy of Google Images

         Contemporarily, rap music is very popular for the youth in Italy, as it also is in America. Some of my favorite Italian rappers include Ghali, Capo Plaza, Madman, Keezy, Salmo, Rancore, and Luche. I also enjoy older Italian music such as Mina and Patty Pravo, who were women who sang with lyrics inspired by the feminism movements. My grandmother actually introduced me to Mina! Many of the older locals love Mina’s music, and I hear Mina sometimes playing in nicer restaurants here in Rome. However, I find it interesting that most public places, including restaurants, pubs, and coffee shops play American and British music, usually older songs such early 2000’s Beyonce and Taylor Swift, or punk rock, Pink Floyd, and even songs from the ‘80s. Do you all like to listen to music from different countries? 

Mina; Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Sports

Juventus; Photo Courtesy of Google Images

         Soccer is the main sport in Italy. A.S. Roma and Juventus are the primary, popular, well-loved teams in Italy. Most locals root for one of these teams, and feel very strongly about their team winning – kind of like the Ducks vs. the Beavers back in Oregon with football. Bike racing is also a popular activity that locals are invested in. When I was visiting my cousin in Chieti, there was a bike race happening that rode through the city. When I went out for lunch that day, the TV at the pizzeria was playing the live footage from the bike race and there were locals young and old watching and bonding over the happenings of the race. It was nice to see strangers getting into such passionate conversations over their mutual interest of the sport! What are your favorite sports to play and watch?

Art

Baroque Art in the Vatican Museum

         70% of all art in the world is located in Italy, which seems like a crazy large amount, however, is believable considering the large number of museums which house imported art as well as the remains of the ancient art around the country. Baroque art specifically was born in Italy, and is easily found in many of the churches and building surfaces around the country. Baroque art was invented as a form of lavish, over-the-top, extravagant art in order to decorate royal and wealthy homes and places. 

Baroque Art in the Vatican Museum

When I look at Baroque art, it’s easy for me to feel overwhelmed with the amount of intricate detail in every corner! Baroque is an absolutely beautiful art form, and it’s fascinating to think about how such intricate details were designed and executed in such large areas! The Vatican Museums house a large amount of Baroque art, especially on the ceilings. Lecce, Italy is known as the city of Baroque art. Even the contemporary art in Italy seems to be inspired by ancient and baroque styles. What are your favorite art forms? Do you make art? 

14 comments:

  1. I think that the art and fashion look really cool and interesting! I think art is so fun and my favorite form of art is drawing or painting. This all looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art and fashion are really cool and interesting! I also love drawing and painting :)

      Delete
  2. ya like jazz-berry benson 2007. but seriously do you like jazz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi its ashley I love all the colors and the outfits are so pretty and cool i love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley, I also love the outfits! Fashion is fun!

      Delete
  4. i love to watch and play soccer, and my favorite form of art is drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soccer and drawing are awesome :)

      Delete
  5. Very interesting! yes i do like art

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love art, music, and fashion. My favorite form of art is drawing and painting. My ultimate favorite music is Country. Fashion is style. Thank You .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love art, music, and fashion! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I play video games and always win in halo games. Thank you for the good blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Video games are cool. Thank you for enjoying my blog!

      Delete